Monday, April 6, 2009

Irish Adventures


What a day! Jess and I had done some research online the other night and had planned out our day to Waterford--the Waterford Pottery place in the morning, lunch, then the Waterford Crystal Factory tour and gift shop (while Daniel was hopefully sleeping). But, as you probably know, things don't always go the way you plan...


We awoke to pouring down rain and heavy winds. No biggie. We got ready and went on our way. But first, I needed money! So we stopped at ATM #1, to find out it was out of order. So we went to the bank, only to find that not only do they not accept my card, but they wouldn't exchange my American $100 bills. We decided we'd head on to Waterford and find an ATM there. We got to Waterford, found the pottery place (which Seth looked at online just last night) and found out that it was closed. The little Irish man we talked to said it was "long gone." Go figure. On to ATM #2 where my card was declined. Then ATM #3 which was again out of order. At this point we decided to just go on to Waterford Crystal--of course they would take my credit card. We pull up to the Visitor Center...but oh wait, it was closed! Did you know that Waterford Crystal has been bought out by another company and Waterford Crystal will no longer be made in Ireland? Bummer! But thankfully the Employee Gift Shop was still open...not many options, but there were some. So as we start to look around we see a sign...NO CREDIT CARDS because their phone lines were down. Of course. So while Jess and I wait, Seth (my hero) drives back into town to find an ATM...of course, my card still doesn't work, but he gets money from their bank, comes back to the gift shop, and Jess and I each get to purchase some of the last real Irish Waterford Crystal--yay! What a morning!

We head to Eddie Rockets for lunch...Eddie is the Irish cousin of Johnny :-) It says so on the menu!

Well...at this point, we're pretty disappointed. It's still gloomy outside, we didn't get to go to Waterford pottery, and the Waterford Crystal visitor center was closed. So I get handed the GPS and am told to pick out what we do next. I see a castle only about 2 miles away...we might as well try! We pull up to Butlerstown Castle and it's awesome! Some ruins of an old castle...and at first it wasn't anything too special, until I decide to climb up the wall into the second level. Seth decides to climb up, too, and we make our way to the roof for an awesome photo shoot. Then after getting down, Jess wants to climb up as well, so I go back up with her. So much fun! Lots of pictures!

On our way to Waterford in the morning, I had seen a sign for Ardmore Pottery. At this point, we're figuring it's either closed or nonexistent, based on our luck, but we decide to give it a try. As we pull into Ardmore, Seth recognizes an old tower he wanted to check out, and we're driving along this awesome ocean shore! We check out the old cemetery, church, and tower, then head back to town to find the pottery place--it does exist and it is open! Very cool pottery--all made in Ardmore, along with all sorts of other crafts made right here in Ireland. Yay! Then we decide to go take a look at the Cliffs...we end up going for the most amazing walk, and the weather had cleared up so it was bright blue skies! God is sooo good!! It was amazing! I definitely took over 150 pictures today :) But none of them can capture the amazing day I had with my best friends, enjoying the gorgeous Irish scenery!


Tomorrow, we attempt Blarney :-) With the castle, the stone, and more shopping!

2 comments:

  1. Be sure to Kiss the Blarney stone... and get a picture... we have one of Laura kissing it when she was less than 2years old :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.ardmorepottery.com -- can't wait to see your purchases... it sort of reminds be of Bybee pottery in KY!

    ReplyDelete